- 2 ounces dried Spanish chorizo, casing removed, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds, crushed
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 3/4 cup dry white wine
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 pounds mussels, scrubbed, debearded
- 4 thick slices country-style bread, toasted
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon or parsley
Heat chorizo and 2 tablespoons oil in a large heavy pot over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until chorizo begins to brown and crisp, about 4 minutes. Add garlic and fennel seeds and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add tomatoes and wine and bring to a simmer; season with pepper. Cook until reduced by three-quarters, 6–8 minutes.
Add mussels. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until mussels open, 6–8 minutes. Discard any mussels that don’t open. Drizzle toast with oil. Serve mussels topped with tarragon with toast alongside.
Recipe by Chris Morocco courtesy of www.epicurious.com.