This wine soufflé recipe takes the traditional soufflé and kicks up the flavor with the addition of white wine that is a perfect compliment your Valentine’s Dinner!
Soufflé: 35 mins total
Wine Sauce: 35 mins total
Ingredients for Soufflé:
- 2 3/4 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup, plus 1 tbsp flour (fine)
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 pinch salt
- peel of ½ lemon (untreated), zested
- 4 eggs
- 2 egg whites
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- Butter and granulated sugar for the molds
- Powdered sugar for sprinkling
Ingredients for Optional Wine Sauce:
- 1/2 (750 milliliter) bottle dry red wine
- 1/2 cup white sugar, or more to taste
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Directions for Soufflé:
1. Melt butter, stir in flour; while stirring gradually, pour the wine into the light roux, add salt and lemon zest, bring to a boil, and stir vigorously, remove from heat, and let cool slightly.
2. Separate eggs. Stir yolks into the mixture. Beat 6 egg whites with granulated sugar until soft peaks form and carefully add to the mixture.
3. Fill soufflé mixture 3/4 of the way into four buttered molds sprinkled with granulated sugar (about 1/2 cup [1/8 l] content with flat bottoms).
4. Fill a large ovenproof pan about 2/5 inch (1 cm) high with water, bring to a boil, and bake the soufflé in a water bath in a preheated oven at 410°F (210°C) lower heat for about 20 minutes.
5. Remove soufflés from the oven, sprinkle with sugar, and serve.
Tip: Serve with current or wine sauce. (Directions for optional wine sauce below).
Directions for Wine Sauce:
1. Combine wine, sugar, vanilla extract, and cinnamon together in a saucepan; simmer over low heat, stirring occasionally, until sauce reduces, about 30 minutes.
Posted in Recipes and Pairings
- February 4, 2014
- by Kristina Manning